Dear friends, it’s January 15, and that means we’re exactly four months away from the release of Onyx & Ivory. I just can’t believe it. How did this happen? Oh wait, time flies, that’s how it happened.
O&I Street Team Sign-Ups
Speaking of time, as usual I’m running short on it, which means I’m only just now launching the official Onyx & Ivory Street Team. For those of you unfamiliar with street teams, basically you sign up to help promote the book, both online and around your town, and in return you receive exclusive content and prizes. If you already know what’s up, the sign up link is at the bottom of this email.
Some caveats. This is my very first time trying something like this, and as such I’ve no actual idea what I’m doing, but I promise to do my best. There will be a learning curve, though, so please keep that in mind. I’m also looking for anyone interested in captaining the team. Basically this person will be my go-to individual(s) for questions and suggestions about tasks and prizes and whatnot. If you’re interested, send me an email.
How it Works
- There will be 12 tasks total. The first 2 will be two weeks apart starting Feb 11. Then starting Mar 11 there will be 1 task per week until release week.
- A special newsletter will appear in your inbox providing the details of the assigned task (including how to get credit for it), the due date, and the exclusive content and/or prizes up for grabs.
- For every task completed, you will be entered to win a major prize package at the the end of the launch.
- To qualify for the big giveaway, you have to complete 10 out of 12 tasks, but you will receive points for every task, so doing them all will increase your chances off winning.
- Depending on the number of sign-ups, there might be several big prizes at the end.
- Everyone who completes 10 of the 12 tasks will receive a swag package, including bookmarks, book plates, and other goodies.
- Open internationally.
Exclusive Content & Prizes
All of these are things I hope to offer, although I can’t promise everything will happen. There will also be more. Again, I’m learning as I go.
- Advanced Readers Copies (most likely eArcs, but some of the giveaways will include physical arcs)
- Interactive Map
- Exclusive Badges
- Dream Cast
- Quizzes to determine your magic type
- Previews of Book 2
- Bookmarks + bookplates + other swag (including the original inspiration for the “moonbelts” in the story)
- Trading Cards
- Signed Copies of other books like these (candles, too!):
- And some of my own books, of course.
As I mentioned above, this is my first time doing this, and I want to say thanks ahead of time to any of you that sign up. It’s no secret that a lot of success for a book is based on how much buzz it generates, and a street team can go a long way to helping create that. It might not seem like it, but every mention helps.
Also, I promise to keep these tasks reasonable. I understand how valuable your time is. It’s the same for me. Some of you might not know that I work a full time day job in addition to the writing gig, which frankly, is also full-time. I also have two children young enough that they can’t be left home by themselves longer than an hour. Not to mention horses, dogs, and cats to take care of. So yeah, I get it. Every task will be designed to be doable even for someone with a hectic and crazy schedule.
Street Team Sign up
And finally, at last, you can sign up here. Just be signing up, you’ll be given access to the first five pages of Onyx & Ivory to read online.